UPDATE JUNE 2020: Per Ned Lamont's Executive Order No. 7II... "Extension of the Start Date for Imposition of a Late Fee for Obtaining Dog Licenses from July 1, 2020 to August 1, 2020. Section 22-338(a) of the Connecticut General Statutes is modified to extend the start date for the imposition of a late fee for obtaining this year’s annual dog license from July 1, 2020 to August 1, 2020."
- Access Online Dog License Renewal System
(Please enter your last name, tag year, AND tag number).
All three fields MUST be completed to access the system. If you need assistance with tag information, please email email@example.com.
- View and Print Dog License Application (For more than one dog, you only need to complete the dog information for the additional dogs.)
All dogs in Easton must be licensed. Per CT General Statute Sec.22-338, all dogs over the age of 6 months must be licensed by the Town Clerk annually on or before June 30th. The license is valid from July 1st through June 30th. All licensed dogs must wear the tag on a collar around their neck. Dogs new to you that are 6 months or older must be licensed within 30 days of acquiring them.
$8.00 for a spayed or neutered dog
$19.00 for an unaltered dog
Late fees $1.00 per month (as of August 1, 2020). Reference Exeuctive Order No. 7II.
*Proof of current rabies vaccination is required.
*When licensing a dog for the first time, provide spay/neuter certificate from veterinarian, if applicable.
New Dog Licenses Mail or Drop Box (blue bin) in the Police Department entrance to Town Hall on Morehouse Road
- Print and complete Dog License Application.
- Include applicable fees (check payable to Town of Easton).
- Provide a self-addressed, stamped envelope. [Postage: 1-3 tags - 1 Forever Stamp; if more than 3 tags - call office for postage information.]
- Mail or Drop off: Town of Easton, Attn: Town Clerk, 225 Center Road, Easton, CT 06612
Renewal Dog Licenses Online
- For privacy and security reasons, in order to access the system and renew online, you must input (1) Last Name, (2) Tag Number (last year - number) (number listed on paper license or dog tag).
- If your dog’s rabies vaccination is not current (expiration date MUST be after July 1, 2020), you MUST provide documentation (tags do not qualify) from the veterinarian showing the new expiration date. When renewing online, you must have the ability to scan these documents from your computer or phone into any valid Windows' Image format, such as JPEG, TIFF, GIF, BMP or PNG. PDF format is not accepted.) No licenses will be renewed without updated information.
- If your dog is newly spayed or neutered, you must provide documentation from the veterinarian.
- Renewal Licensing Online Fees: Each transaction subject to a convenience fee paid directly to Official Payments.
$1.00 Debit; $1.95 Credit Cards (American Express NOT accepted); $2.00 E-Check
* All License(s) and tag(s) will be mailed to you.
For the following transactions, contact the Town Clerk's office (203) 268-6291 for information:
- Transfers from Other Towns in Cnnecticut and within Easton
If you have moved to Easton and your dog is currently licensed in another Connecticut town, you may transfer the dog’s license for a $0.50 fee.
If you acquire a dog that is already licensed by its prior owner In Easton, you may transfer ownership to your name for $1.00.
- Lost Tag(s)
If your dog loses its tag, a replacement may be obtained for $0.50.
- Kennel Licenses
Kennel licenses are available in groups of 10 tags. The fee is $51.00. Late fee $10.00.
Animal Control requests rabies vaccinations for all kennel dogs to be included with renwal or new kennel.
- Guide Dogs
Any blind, deaf or mobility impaired person who is owner or keeper of a dog trained to guide and assist him shall receive a license and tag for such dog, and no fee shall be charged. Also, dogs between 6 months and 1 year of age, placed for training as guide dogs, shall also receive a license and tag at no fee, provided satisfactory evidence presented that the dog was placed by an organization which supplies such guide dogs. Therapy dogs do not qualify for a "no fee" license and tag.
Rabies Exemption Certificates
Per CT State Statute, no license may be issued unless a valid rabies certificate, signed by a licensed veterinarian, and including the date of vaccination and duration of immunity, is submitted to or on file with the Town Clerk, EXCEPT to those possessing a rabies vaccination exemption certificate issued by the State Veterinarian or Commissioner of Agriculture or the Commissioner's designee. Such certificate is valid for one year. A letter of exemption from your local veterinarian will not be accepted.
Violation of the licensing law carries a fine to be imposed by the Animal Control Officer. You may receive a postcard notification in the mail from Animal Control for failure to license your dog. If you have any questions, please contact Animal Control (203) 268-9172.