The charge of the Cemetery Committee is “To restore, maintain and preserve the historic value of the four Town owned cemeteries (Gilbertown, Center Street, and Lyon).”
The Committee’s restoration and maintenance goals are focused in the following areas:
- Reset headstones that are leaning in our cemeteries;
- Install in new fabricated bases all headstones that have broken below ground level and are too short to be reset;
- Repair with epoxy, the remaining headstones that have broken above ground level;
- Reset footstones;
- Install cornerstones and memorial plaques as needed;
- Replace missing steel railings.
Other Committee goals:
- Provide consistent landscape maintenance and leaf/debris removal.
- Meet with the Town tree warden for the approval to remove hazard trees at Gilbertown, Lyon and Center Street cemeteries.
The Committee expresses its heartfelt appreciation to all the volunteers who dedicate their time each year to maintaining our town’s cemeteries.